Crypton Fabric is a specially engineered fabric system that promises and delivers superior performance from stains and spills. As the benchmark for performance fabrics, each fiber of Crypton Fabric is encapsulated with our patented technology through an immersion process, so it never breaks down its resistance to stains, moisture, mildew and odors. The impenetrable moisture barrier protects the fabric from spills, keeping stains from setting in the foam of the cushions. The fabric itself is also disinfectable when used in conjunction with our EPA-registered Crypton Disinfectant & Deodorizer. All of these features bundled together create an easy-to-clean upholstery solution that keeps your installation looking beautiful for years.
All fabrics must pass our very stringent minimum performance tests before they can even enter our plant. This ensures that there will never be any surprises with Crypton technology. These minimum standards guarantee that when you specify Crypton, you can rely on its performance.
With more than 150 million yards of Crypton installed throughout the world since 1993 – including The White House and Buckingham Palace – it’s clear that Crypton Fabric is simply the best choice in high-performance fabrics.
Superior Performance Features
- Extreme stain repellency and soil release make cleaning easy, even on oil-based stains
- Permanent, breathable protection built into every fiber
- Integrated non-porous moisture barrier with 5 year warranty
- Technology resists to the growth of odor-causing microbes
- Technology resists deterioration and staining from mold and mildew
- Disinfectable when used in conjunction with our EPA-registered Crypton Disinfectant & Deodorizer
- Bleach cleanable on select fiber types (see Cleaning & Care for specific cleaning instructions)
- Full field support and a full line of best-in-class, upholstery cleaning products
- Passes ACT heavy duty specifications and Wyzenbeek 50,000 (min.) double rubs. ACT Facts Sustainability Certification
- Passes flammability requirements for contract upholstery. Can be specified to pass more stringent flammability requirements (see Tech Specs for details)
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified technology
- Environmentally preferable chemistry
- Closed-loop industrial processes that cycle waste back into production
- 100 percent of fabric scraps recycled into shoddy
- Free of potentially harmful levels of VOCs, PFOS, PFOA, formaldehyde, heavy metals, phenols, phthalates, and skin sensitizers
- No halogenated flame retardants (FRs), no PBDEs
- Contributes to the LEED-CI credit for Low-Emitting Materials
- Renewable energy and carbon offset credits
- Requires no Prop 65 warning label
- Processed at our plant in Kings Mountain, NC, a SCS Validated Facility, meeting prerequisites and points in the ANSI/NSF336 Facts standard. View Certificate (pdf)
Crypton Fabrics are held to extremely high performance standards. For detailed information about our minimum performance specifications, download the Crypton Technical Specifications (pdf).
Crypton for Specialized Applications
What sets Crypton® Green apart is its environmentally preferable fiber content. In order to get our green seal of approval, fabrics arriving from our licensed mills for processing must meet one of the following criteria:
- 50-100 percent recycled content
- 100 percent heavy-metal-free polyester content
- 100 percent wool with heavy-metal-free dyes
- 100 percent polypropylene content
The performance characteristics of Crypton Green are synonymous with Crypton Fabric, so there is no sacrifice in performance by making this environmentally conscious fabric selection.
Crypton® Outdoor offers superior protection against stains, mold, mildew, and the damaging effects of the sun and moisture on outdoor furniture. The performance characteristics of Crypton Outdoor are synonymous with Crypton Fabric, with the very important addition of UV resistance, so there is no sacrifice in outdoor performance. Perfect for all outdoor applications, Crypton Outdoor is specially formulated to adjust to all types of weather extremes.
Even when cushions are left out in the rain, water simply beads up and rolls off, allowing the cushions to be used again without the standard rain-delay. It’s a principal reason why Crypton is the preferred choice of many leading outdoor furniture providers, such as Gloster and Tropitone.
Do you have a new location where you’d like to use Crypton? It’s possible! For quantities of 300+ yards, Crypton can be customized to suit new applications, adhering to strict FR requirements, upon request. For example, Crypton is currently used in Cruise Lines, passing IMO Resolution A 652(16), in Auto (FMVSS 302) and Transportation (FAR 25.853). Speak to your rep about all the special applications available.
How It's Made
Skilled designers and engineers craft new looks and textures to meet Crypton specifications for durability. Fabrics are pre-tested to ensure all required heavy-duty performance standards can be achieved.
Thousands of yards of approved fabric are delivered to Crypton’s plant in Kings Mountain, NC from our network of licensed US mills.
Bolts of fabric are sewn together and guided onto rollers to advance through the complete immersion bath process, which coats each fiber of fabric with our patented Crypton formula.
Combined with high temperatures, the electronegative and polar-covalent molecules in our formula are activated for maximum repellency of oil- and water-based liquids. During the drying process the water-borne polymer disperses to encapsulate each fiber while crosslinking functional groups permanently bind the chemistry to the fabric.
An impenetrable moisture barrier is integrated to the back of the fabric, imparting hydrostatic and chemical resistance so that liquids cannot pass through. The low glass transition temperature of the networked, polymeric barrier ensures fabric hand is maintained.
Fabric goes through our inspection process, where trained staff scrutinizes every inch of fabric coming off the line before separating it into bolts to be sent off to our many distributors.