Contract Fabrics for World-Class Projects
Crypton, Inc. has been revolutionizing the textile industry with performance fabrics for healthcare, hospitality and institutions for more than two decades.
Since 1993, Crypton upholstery fabric has changed the way we use and think about textiles. A leading innovator in performance fabrics, the company continues to test, improve, and develop technology to create durable fabric, environmentally friendly fabric, waterproof fabric, stain resistant fabric, and antimicrobial fabric. Crypton Fabric offers superior protection against stains, odors, moisture, and mildew for a mess-free environment.
Crypton textiles are distributed by Arc-Com, Architex, Brentano, Burch Fabrics Group, Carnegie, CF Stinson, Designtex, D.L. Couch, Knoll Textiles, Kravet Contract, Maharam, Momentum Textiles, Robert Allen, Sina Pearson Textiles, Valley Forge Fabrics and more.
What is Crypton Fabric?
Performance is everything. The continued legacy of Crypton commercial fabrics is one of trusted performance. Crypton has established minimum performance standards well above the industry standard. Every single Crypton textile is tested to ensure it exceeds these standards, enabling us to confidently deliver upholstery fabric that performs for the contract industry. Our ongoing customer service and cleaning programs, which includes Crypton upholstery stain remover, also offer peace of mind.
Innovation is our standard. Crypton is the only durable fabric offering lifelong stain, moisture, bacteria, and odor-resistant protection. Crypton is the sole commercial fabric considered a non-porous surface by the EPA and is disinfectable when used in conjunction with Crypton upholstery stain remover (EPA-approved Crypton Disinfectant & Deodorizer).
Our reach is vast. More than 120 million yards of Crypton upholstery fabric are used by the biggest names in hospitality, education, government, senior living, and healthcare. From indoor and outdoor fabrics to high performance vinyl, leather, wall-panel, mattress & bedding, and cleaners—all Crypton textiles undergo rigorous performance testing, ensuring a lasting durable fabric with unbeatable quality and return on investment.
Style is just as important as science. With more than 20,000 beautiful upholstery fabric options, our network of partners and distributors offer Crypton protection on an increasing number of Crypton fabric furniture. We work closely with licensed American mills to create beautiful commercial fabrics that are woven to last. Because of this, Crypton contract fabrics are not only suitable for hospitality but are also made for healthcare, for government and for offices too.
Customer service is key. When you choose Crypton commercial fabrics, you’re not just buying a product—you’re gaining access to a world-class customer support and sales team with solutions to help you quickly address all of your design, cleaning, and maintenance needs. Crypton is a homegrown, U.S.-based company headquartered in Detroit, a city known for its long history of innovation. Our customer service team is infused with the friendliness characteristic of our Midwestern roots.
Environmentally responsible manufacturing
The science behind it all. As a family company and a top-performing tech innovator, we value the connection between our community and the environment. This concept drives every aspect of our business—from our people, plant, and manufacturing processes to the research we conduct every day to create Crypton Fabric.
Green Chemistry. Our experts constantly work to make our patented fabric formulas more environmentally friendly—so our Crypton contract fabrics really are saving the planet. Put simply, we make sure our chemistry is not toxic to the water, soil or air, and we focus on using renewable materials. In more scientific terms:
- The Silver Ion technology that provides our anti-microbial protection has a lower water solubility than standard formulas, which means lower aquatic toxicity and higher treatability.
- All of our technologies pass CA Standard Section 01350 for indoor air quality, and are GREENGUARD Gold Certified. We do not add formaldehyde to any Crypton fabric.
- Over the years we’ve worked hard to radically reduce our reliance on petroleum-based materials by streamlining our production processes. Improvements to our moisture resistant fabric include the addition of polymers derived from renewable, farm-grown raw feedstock materials, such as corn.
- Crypton has eliminated all PFOA- and PFOS-containing long-chain C8 chemistry from our fluorinated formulas in favor of C6 chemistry, which is not bio-accumulative or toxic. We have also developed a fluorine-free finish, C Zero, for protection against water-based stains.
- We avoid the addition of flame retardants unless required by application codes for specific markets, like automotive and IMO, and we have followed the EU’s lead in the elimination of all halogenated flame retardants in instances where flame retardants must be used to meet code.
- We’ve taken measures to reduce water consumption and purchase renewable energy certificates. By streamlining our production line, we have been able to burn less natural gas, reduce CO2 emissions, and reduce electricity consumption.
- We also strive to close the loop in our industrial processes by recycling 100 percent of our Crypton upholstery fabric scraps into shoddy, and capturing waste technology to be reused in production.
We have high standards, and we make sure our products meet them every time. Scientific Certification Systems (SCS) has completed a third-party Facility Validation of Crypton’s Kings Mountain, North Carolina plant. This means Crypton Fabric and manufacturing processes conform to all prerequisites and some optional credits for FactsCM (NSF 336), the sustainability assessment standard for commercial upholstery fabric. Additionally, while all Crypton textiles are made with the same environmentally conscious technology and processes, Crypton Green Fabric sets an even higher bar for environmentally friendly fabrics. In order to be considered Crypton Green Fabric, the content of the fabric arriving from our mills for processing must meet certain environmental standards for recycled content, recyclability, and/or be heavy-metal-free.
INCASE® – Custom formulas are developed for each fiber profile, allowing for freedom in the fabric selection process and ensuring no change in hand or color.
C-Zero® – C Zero offers better water-based stain resistance than any other fluorine-free finish on the market.
Nanotex – Fabrics that resists spills, repels stains, wicks away moisture, and resists static without sacrificing comfort.
Stewardship is Our Standard
We’re a family company, so the way we see it, business is a whole lot more than meeting sales quotas. At Crypton, we believe that the activities we fill our lives with matter, and that carries over to the way we conduct our business day-to-day.
Our lives are interconnected with our community and the environment, and the world we live in is of our own making. This philosophy drives every aspect of our business – from our people, plant, and manufacturing processes to the research we conduct every day. We tirelessly seek innovative solutions that will also advance our efforts to further reduce our environmental impact, offering responsible textile solutions that honor the broader goals of society.